Today the WordPress team has launched its latest version update 3.3 and this time its really quite a visual update with several changes to the interface. There are several key changes like an improved dashboard with dynamic update messages, Flyout menu options, more filetypes and automatic file detection with drag and drop file uploads.
Below are the list of features added / improved in the latest version of WordPress framework:
- File Type Detection – A single upload button.
- Drag-and-Drop Media Uploader
- New Toolbar in the dashboard, combining the Admin Bar and admin header
- Responsive design for some screens, including iPad/tablet support
- Flyout menus, providing single-click access to any screen
New User Experience
- New feature pointers, helping users navigate new features
- Post-update About screen
- Dashboard welcome area for new installs
- Better co-editing that releases post locks immediately
- Tumblr Importer
- Don’t lose widgets when switching themes
- Admin doctype changed to HTML5
- Show admin bar in backend by default
- Drag and drop multi-file uploading (except older IE)
- Fix Press This editors
- Switch admin menus to flyouts from dropdowns
- WebMatrix support
- Improve cron locking; avoid multiple cron processes looping over the same events
- Add pointers feature, and pointer to admin bar
- Introduce help tabs and WP_Screen
- Style tweaks to the update nag
Impressive Key Changes / Improvements:
File Type Detection: We’ve streamlined things! Instead of needing to click on a specific upload icon based on your file type, now there’s just one. Once your file is uploaded, the appropriate fields will be displayed for entering information based on the file type.
Drag-and-Drop Media Uploader: Adding photos or other files to posts and pages just got easier. Drag files from your desktop and drop them into the uploader. Add one file at a time, or many at once.
More File Formats: We’ve added the rar and 7z file formats to the list of allowed file types in the uploader.