As a blogger, you greatest asset is of course your very own blog. We have been spending countless hours on working and optimizing our blogs, but have you ever thought of a disaster recovery plan for your blogs? Yes, we do trust our web hosting companies, but what if a breakdown occurs and you want to restore your blog on the same web host or even migrate it to a new web hosting company. Today ill review one of the best WordPress backup and restoration plugin.
BackupBuddy is an all-in-one solution for backups, restoration, and migration. The single backup ZIP file created by the plugin can be used with the importer PHP script to quickly and easily restore your site on the same server or even migrate to a new host with different settings. Whether you’re an end user or a developer, this plugin is sure to bring you peace of mind and added safety in the event of data loss. The aim of the plugin is to keep the backup, restoration, and migration processes easy, fast, and reliable.
With BackupBuddy, you have 2 options:
- A full backup of your entire WordPress blog including images, plugins, options and even your wp installation
- Perform database backups alone.
Restoring, Migrating procedure
- Download and install the BackupBuddy WordPress plugin on your blog
- Run the backup feature from your BB control panel.
- It will backup your blog on your FTP and create a “importbuddy.php” file and a backup file that can be downloaded.
- Upload the backup file & importbuddy.php to the root web directory of the destination server.
Do not install WordPress on the destination server. Navigate to importbuddy.php in your web browser on the destination server.
- Simply browse to the importbuddy.php file and run it on the destination server.
- BackupBuddy will automatically restore the entire WordPress blog automatically seamlessly.
An overview of its features
- Back up all site content & files
- Rapid restore & migration
- Amazon S3 off-site backups
- FTP off-site backups
- Send backups via email
- Scheduled backups & transfers
- Directory exclusion
- Full & database only options
- Compatibility features for picky servers
- Back up non-WordPress tables (optional)
- Dashboard backup status
- Backup file integrity checking
- Email notifications
- Limit number of local backups
- Premium forum support
- Built-in help system
- Video walkthroughs
- Automatic upgrades
Take Home: There are lot of methods to backup your WordPress blog, most of them being manual and should only be tried if you are ready to take the risk and an expert in using tools like PhpMyadmin, cpanel and database backups. The plugin solves all these issues and makes it an easy task that could be done by anyone to make sure the blog is backed up. I would strongly suggest using of backup buddy as I have tried and tested the plugin that works well on 4 of my huge blogs with 2000+ posts.