Bing (formerly Live Search, Windows Live Search, and MSN Search) is the current web search engine (advertised as a “decision engine”) from Microsoft. Bing was unveiled by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer on May 28, 2009 at the All Things Digital conference in San Diego. It went fully online on June 3, 2009 with a preview version released on June 1, 2009.
Submitting to Bing.com is very simple.
- Open the link on a browser: http://www.bing.com/docs/submit.aspx
- Submit your site.
- verify your site (http://www.bing.com/webmaster) for crawl analytics.
Its been observerd that Bing’s User base has been ever increasing and Trust by the visitors has been increased to a large extent, The Traffic Analytic data of Bing.com suggests that it has been growing and now its at Alexa Traffic Rank 21 ! That is very impressive and Bing has introduced many new features like the twitter search etc and many new in the pipeline.
Lets see how would the Search Arena change on the internet when thre is such tuff competetion for excellence.
Note: The feature list has been refered from wikipedia, read more at Wikipedia.org
- Daily changing of background image. The images are mostly of remarkable places in the world. The background image also contains information about the element(s) shown in the image.
- Left side navigation pane. Includes navigation and, on results pages, related searches and prior searches
- Right side extended preview which shows a bigger view of the page and gives URLs to links inside of the page.
- Sublinks. On certain search results, the search result page also shows section links within the article (this is also done on other search engines, including Google)
- Enhanced view where third party site information can be viewed inside Bing.
- On certain sites, search from within the website on the results page
- On certain sites, Bing will display the Customer Service number on the results page
- Video thumbnail Preview where, by hovering over a video thumbnail, the video automatically starts playing
- Image search with continuous scrolling images results page that has adjustable settings for size, layout, color, style and people.
- Video search with adjustable setting for length, screen size, resolution and source
- Sports. Bing can directly display scores from a specific day, recent scores from a league or scores and statistics on teams or players.
- Finance. When entering a company name or stock symbols and either stock or quote in the search box Bing will show direct stock information like a stockchart, price, volume, and p/e ratio in a webslice that users can subscribe to.
- Math calculations (e.g., 2 * pi * 24). Users can enter math expressions in the search box using a variety of math operators and (trig) functions and Bing will provide a direct calculation of the expression.
- Package tracking and tracing. When a user types the name of the shipping company and the tracking number Bing will provide direct tracking information.
- Dictionary. When ‘define’, ‘definition’ or ‘what is’ followed by a word is entered in the searchbox Bing will show a direct answer from the Encarta dictionary
- Spell check. Will change frequently misspelled search terms to the more commonly spelled alternative. This feature cannot be disabled or avoided.
- Best match (plus similar sites)
- Product shopping and Bing cashback
- Health information
- Current traffic information
- Business listing
- People listing
- Localized searching for restaurants and services
- Restaurant reviews
- Movies played in an area. When a current movie title is entered in the search box Bing will provide listings of local theaters showing the movie. When a city is added to the search box, Bing provides the movie listings localised for that city.
- City hotel listings. When ‘hotels’ and a city name is entered in the search box Bing can provide hotel listings with a map. The listing leads to a detail search page with the hotels listed that holds extended information on the hotels and contains links to reviews, directions reservations and bird eye view of the hotel. On the page with the listings the list can be refined by settings on ratings, pricing, amenities, payment and parking