The Tags covered here are: How to Disable or Limit or Delete Autosave Post-Revisions in WordPress, how to disable Autosave in WordPress, how to limit Autosave in WordPress, how delete Autosave posts, how to mass delete Autosave posts, how to disable post revisions, how to disable post revisions and change interval.
What is Autosave Feature or Post revision feature in WordPress:?
It’s a feature by which WordPress CMS automatically saves posts as post-revisions with time stamps, before, after and in between of posting articles.
Advantages of this Feature:
• Most useful when there are multi authors for your blog and different authors and revisions by each author is auto saved for review by admin
• Auto save of posts save loss of draft when your internet connection gets cut off or your browser get closed accidently.(disaster recovery feature 😉
• Waste of Web space and memory with huge number of auto saved posts
• Confusion and long post page with number of unwanted revisions
Topics to cover
• How to Disable or Switch OFF the Autosave or Post Revision Feature in WordPress.
• How to Limit the number of Autosave posts or Post Revisions
• Delaying or controlling the Autosave time duration
• Doing all the above with a WP Plug-in
• How to Mass delete the Auto saved posts revisions through PHPadmin
How to Disable or Switch OFF the Autosave or Post Revision Feature in WordPress.
Back up the wp-config.php file as the first step. Further open the file in a text editor and insert the below line any where in the page between the PHP
How to Limit the number of Autosave posts or Post Revisions
Lets imagine you don’t want to completely switch off the Autosave feature but want to limit the number of Autosave s to 2 or 3. then replace the above code in wp-config.php as below
The best practice is to comment this above line with /* Comment */ so that you know later what you did this for.
Delaying or controlling the Autosave time duration
You also have an option to delay the frequency of Auto save rather than changing the number of Autosave, you could add the line below to the wp-config.php to achieve this change.
Last resort: Using a Plug-in
If you cant do the simple PHP Edit, then only opt for the usage of plug-in since it’s a wastage of memory space adding one more plug-in for such a simple task.
Plug-in download: http://exper.3drecursions.com/2008/07/25/disable-revisions-and-autosave-plugin/
Hope you enjoyed reading the article and it was helpful, let me know if you have any questions.