One fine day as usual you connect to the intenet, open your favorate browser, type the link of the websites, forums, email clients that you usually use and yes am sure Twitter has now become so popular that it has sneaked into your favorate websites list.
But this day, everything wasnt normal, when i log into my twitter account, i see something different. A red box at the top of the twitter home page as shown below.
I am freaked out and dont know what to do now ? And tried accessing my Twitter profile through my friends twitter account and guess what they recieve: ERROR: The Account has been suspended and is being investigated for strage activities.
Now if you are in the same situation let me explain the possible reasons that could end your twitter account like this
01. You might have Followed a huge number of other twitter users in a very small span of time
02. Your Followed to Follower ratio is extreamly high ( contrasting)
03. Large part of your updates are mainly links and short urls but not any thing that looks like a personal tweet
04. You have a lot of people blocking you as spam and reporting your profile
05. Twitter notes some automation on your profile leading it to grow exponetially.
06. You are Violating twitter’s TOS by Tweeting contents that are not supposed to be tweeted.
07. Aggressive following or follower churn (repeatedly following and unfollowing users)
08. Trend spamming (posting unrelated updates to trending topics to gain attention)
09. Misuse of the reply feature
10. Updates consist of links pointing to phishing sites, malware, or other harmful material
11. Updates consist of duplicate links and/or text
12. Account identified as potentially being part of a spam cluster
13. Twitter Made a Mistake!!
So basically if your twitter account is blocked and you are surprised, Belive me it has to be mostly the first 3 reasons. Now you might be thinking, aahh so i might have been caught cos of the first point itself, Honestly, thats the mistake even i made. Added too many people in one day.
Complete Twitter Rules Page: http://help.twitter.com/forums/26257/entries/15790
Now How to overcome this situation and get back on twitter, There are 2 Ways
1. Learn from your mistakes and open a Fresh twitter account and keep the nice SN community clean. ( Not my favorate method)
2. Request for Lifting the ban on your twitter account at Twitter support( Thats good, cos i have lot of genuine followers)
I guess i dont have to explain how to go about fixing the issue with method 1, if you did not have much followers, use the method 1 and never repeat the mistakes you have done.
The second method is also simple, Log on to the link: twitter.com/help/start with your suspended account credentials.
Open a support ticket and select the reason that your twitter account was suspended, Write down in a way that convinces them honestly that you never made a mistake violating your terms and would be careful from now on. This usally works and did work for me because, Twitter gets a clue that atleast you are a HUMAN ! If you are luck to get through, You have learned a good lesson from Twitter ! 🙂
Lets see Why is Twitter being Strict and banning accounts ?
1. Because BANDWIDTH DOES NOT COME FREE ! If people go on adding people in a freak manner and bots and API applications run arround following millions of people, the system would viraly go out of control and crash !
2. Twitter is a GREAT Tool and it needs to be the same and not a Marketing tool. To keep twitter Clean, it has to go through some cleanup strategy, and thats this !
So i hope this article gave you some relief and helped you to better understand twitter. Happy Tweeting !!